Home > Academics > Graduate Programs and Admissions > Prospective Grad and Admissions > Apply for Grad > Grad School Admissions Requirements
The students we admit generally meet the following qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent to US bachelor’s degree) in engineering, physics, or mathematics
- If your degree is from a non-US institution, verify if your degree meets our bachelor’s degree requirement here
- If you have a MS or PhD in ECE from another institution, you cannot apply for the same degree University of Michigan
- 3.5 out of 4.0 GPA for the undergraduate degree
- A strong emphasis is on fundamental courses (e.g. calculus, physics)
- Based on the technical area you choose on your application, a strong emphasis is on how well you did in courses in the specific technical area
- You will upload an electronic version of your official transcript/academic record for each institution attended through your ApplyWeb application account. If recommended for admissions, you must also send an official transcript/academic record for each institution attended directly to Rackham Graduate School. See Rackham’s detailed instructions on how to submit transcripts/academic records to the Rackham Graduate School.
- All applicants should report their Grade Point Average (GPA) on page 5 of the online application. The GPA should be reported using a standard U.S. four point scale. Applicants who attended an institution outside the United States should follow the instructions to convert their international average grade point to a U.S. four point GPA (see “How to Convert Grades to a U.S. GPA” here).
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores in the 50 percentile or higher in all three test areas
- Score must be less than 5 years old
- NOTE: GRE test scores are optional for the Fall 2022 application for all Michigan ECE graduate degrees (PhD, MS, MEng). In assessing applications, we seek to build the most accurate picture of a student’s likelihood of succeeding in their desired degree program. Therefore, for individuals who do not submit GRE scores, additional, careful scrutiny will be considered in their other submitted application materials.
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- At least 2 from faculty/course instructors who are familiar with your work in the classroom and/or lab
- Research experience (especially important for students applying to the PhD program
- Experience of working in a lab or project with faculty
- English Proficiency Test score (applicants whose native language is not English). Click here for more information about recommended tests and minimum test scores
- UM-SJTU Joint Institute undergraduate students who are currently enrolled at UMich do not have to complete this requirement
The following table provides average scores for students admitted during the 2017-2018 academic year.
|MS Admitted Students||Ph.D. Admitted Students|