Petition Requests

A student may request special permission to adjust the departmental degree requirements or guidelines for a specific reason or circumstances. It is recommended that the student seek the advice of his/her academic/research advisor before submitting the petition.

A student petitioning for waiver or modification of policy or requirement must complete the Petition Request Form. The student’s academic/research advisor must approve this request, and then it is submitted to the ECE Graduate Academic Affairs Committee for final approval.


  • Complete the form and explain the reason for change or exception in policy/requirement
  • Discuss it with your academic advisor. If they approve, have the advisor sign the form.
  • Return the form to your ECE Graduate Program Coordinator who will submit your request to the ECE Graduate Academic Affairs Committee.
  • Wait for the approval from the ECE Graduate Academic Affairs Committee. You will be notified by an ECE Graduate Program Coordinator once a decison has been made.