Deadlines are strict, so there will be no exceptions.
How to Apply
Please Note: You will not receive any type of confirmation from the ECE department or Graduate school regarding graduation. If there are any problems, then you will be contacted.
- Submit a plan of study signed by your academic/research advisor. (If you have already submitted your final plan of study, you do not have to submit another one.)
- Go to Wolverine Access and update/confirm your permanent address or add a diploma address.
- You apply for graduation through Wolverine Access. From the Self Service page, select “Apply for Graduation” in the Degree Progress/Graduation section.
- PhD students should review the Graduate School checklist.
- Complete an Election Form. This is only for students enrolled in the following:
- If you plan to transfer credits, complete the transfer of credit process.
- Here are the instructions to request an OPT letter. (for interntational students only)
- Review the University of Michigan Commencement Webpage for additional information such as ceremonies, cap & gown, tickets, etc.
- Do I need to apply for graduation even if I am not attending the commencement ceremonies?
Yes, you still need to apply for graduation even if you are not planning on attending any of the ceremonies.
- Do I need to apply for graduation if I am in a graduate certificate program?
Yes, you still need to apply for graduation. It is an official program, and you will receive a diploma for the program.
- When can I apply for graduation?
You can apply for graduation at the start of the semester you plan to graduate. Make sure to choose the correct graduation term.
Fall term = December graduation
Winter term = May graduation
Summer term = August graduation
- How do I apply for graduation?
You apply for graduation through Wolverine Access. From the Self Service page, select “Apply for Graduation” in the Degree Progress/Graduation section.
- How can I receive a letter for my parents to apply for visa to attend the commencement (graduation) ceremonies?
Visit the Commencement Website for instructions.
- When are the commencement (graduation) ceremonies?
You are eligible to participate in three commencement ceremonies. They are University-wide, College of Engineering, and Graduate School ceremonies.
Go to commencement.umich.edu for ceremony dates.
- Can participate in May graduation if I am graduating in December or August?
Yes, you can. Once you apply for graduation on Wolverine Access, you are automatically added to the commencement database.
In the spring it is a ticketed event, at Michigan Stadium so they will want to be sure to check the commencement website often for ticket information and timing. All graduates must receive one “grad ticket” for themselves and in additional 4 tickets for family and friends.
- When will I receive my diploma?
You will receive your diploma 12–16 weeks after the commencement ceremony.
For more information regarding diplomas, contact:
Transcripts, Certification & Diploma
E-mail for transcript order questions: email@example.com
E-mail for diploma questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Where will my diploma be delivered?
Your diploma will be mailed to your permanent address on Wolverine Access.
If you want your diploma to be mailed to another address, you will need to add the new address and then select DIPLOMA as the address type when prompted.
- When will my degree be on my transcript?
Your degree will appear on your transcript around January for December graduates, June for April graduates, and September for August graduates. Check your unofficial transcript at the end of the month to confirm the degree.
- Can I get a letter/document confirming my degree completion?
The Graduate School’s Office of Academic Records and Dissertation can issue this letter/document but only when needed for a student’s job or visa purposes. Send an email to OARD (email@example.com) to request the document. This document will have the University’s seal on it. This document is not your diploma.