Electrical and Computer Engineering
menu MENU

Spotlight on Department

The Department is Born

In 1905, with George Patterson as its first chair, the Electrical Engineering Department was founded.
Learn more >

ECE Department and CE Program

1971: The Department changed its name from Electrical Engineering to Electrical and Computer Engineering, and a new UG program in computer engineering is created.
Learn more >

The First Woman in EECS

In 1980, Janice Jenkins was the first woman hired as a faculty member in the department.
Learn more >

The College’s First African-American Faculty

Prof. Leo McAfee was committed to outreach among minority students throughout his nearly 40 years at U-M.
Learn more >

From Physics to EE

The origins of EE lie in the physics department, and early courses were taught in that building’s basement.
Learn more >

A Move North

In 1983, a $30M building on North Campus was approved, where EECS has been home to ever since.
Learn more >

1984: EECS Department

ECE joins with CCS and CICE to become the EECS Department in 1984.
Learn more >